|Photo Credit: Health.com|
I started having heartburn when I reached my mid-20s. I didn't know why. I hadn't changed my diet or eating habits. But as we get older, our bodies change. It is important that we pay attention to what our bodies are telling us and adjust accordingly. Here are some tips to help avoid or sooth your heartburn:
1. Eat small meals so you don't feel so full.
2. Eat slowly.
3. Sip liquids and try to get your liquids in before or after meals, instead of during.
4. Walk around the house after you eat. Lying down can cause acid to go back up into your esophagus.
5. Know what foods irritate you and try to stay away from them.
6. Take an antacid, like Tums.
7. If none of the above work, try a stronger medication like Prilosec. You can get a free sample here.